November 03, 2011

A Sad Topic

I've never been very good with words when I'm speaking. Writing comes a bit easier just because I can stop and think of what I really want to say and not worry about how stupid it sounds coming out of my mouth. To be completely honest, I've struggled with depression for most of my life. I was pretty young when it started and it fluctuates in intensity over the years. The hardest thing is talking about it and finding some way to describe it. I found a comic that sums it up pretty well, minus the last few windows. I'm not sure who made it and I'm not sure if it's supposed to be funny but I felt that it rang pretty true (there is a bit of language in there, I apologize).

Some days are fine. Perfect, even. Lately I've had a lot of those good days where I'm too busy to be depressed. Other days, it randomly creeps up from behind and forms a little rain cloud above my head that sticks to be like glue. It's been so bad on occasion that it physically hurts to move, to think, or even breathe. Thankfully I haven't had one of those days in a while.

For those who may feel the same way, or just partially, I found a few things that help prevent/fix an episode. I'm no doctor but I've had time to test a few of these out.

  • Stay busy. That doesn't mean overwhelm yourself, but if you are feeling down, being productive does wonders! Especially if you're helping someone else or there is an end product that you can physically see.
  • Write about it or paint a picture. This is 90% of the reason why I blog. It really does help and there is something soothing about moving a paintbrush back and forth.
  • Clean your room. Uncluttering your room helps you to unclutter your mind. It's more room for you to think and to think clearly.
  • Talk about it. I don't do this one, but I've heard it helps. Find a listening ear and just vent for a bit.
  • Stay away from sad books or movies. I am the biggest hypocrite in this one because there is nothing I do better then wallow in my own misery by googleing "depressing poetry" or watching the saddest things I can find. Don't do this. Read something uplifting, watch a Disney movie or...
  • Go outside. If it's a nice day, find something green and living. Walk in a park but walk like you have no where to be. Just enjoy and soak in some sunshine.
  • Hug a cat. That may just be me, but there is something comforting about a warm fuzzy cat that is purring next to your ear. If you don't have a cat, hug a hairy friend and ask them to purr/hum. You will get a similar effect.
Hopefully this helps you out or was just interesting for you to peruse. I feel a bit better just by writing about it. I hope you have a very pleasant day.


No comments:

Post a Comment