March 28, 2012

Failure

I woke up today and it seemed like any other day. I had slept a little later than I intended to so I was in my usual rush to get ready. I was pleased, however, when I found a cute green silk dress in my sister's closet and I paired it with my favorite red shoes. I even put my hair up and took extra time with my makeup. Needless to say, I was looking pretty fancy. When I left the house to get in my car, I noticed a homeless man with a shopping cart going from trash can to trash can looking for something he can salvage. Immediately I felt silly in my little silk dress and fancy heels when this man had gray and tattered clothing and a very scruffy beard. I knew he couldn't afford any better and I wondered if he looked at me and thought I was a silly spoiled girl.

I said 'good morning' to the man and he muttered a 'hello' back and he kept on his way, dinning through the trash. After I got in my car I remembered that I had a cup of yogurt in my purse I could give it to him... but I kept driving. A bad feeling in my stomach started getting worse and worse but I couldn't bring myself to offer it, so I drove past him and watched him shrink in my rear view mirror. I immediately started to mentally berate myself and my the time I got to the freeway I had another chance to turn around, but I didn't. Then when I got to the first exit away from mine and there was another chance to turn around. If you're thinking this story ends happily, it doesn't. I didn't turn around.

Feeling horrible, I cried on my way to work, messing up my pretty makeup. I could have helped him. I could have gone back in my house and got him more food that I really don't need, but I didn't. I was given an opportunity and I failed.

I really hope I have another chance to help someone and when that chance comes that I can be brave enough to lend a hand. I feel awful for what I did, or what I did not do.

If you see someone who needs help, please help them. I will try my hardest to do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment