February 15, 2012

Thou Shalt Not Be A Pansy

Confidence. Something that is essential to one's success, I believe. Something that I'm lacking. My goal for this year is to gain confidence, not in a smug "I'm so great" kind of way, but the "I know I can do this" way. I'm sure it would creep out to all corners of my life and help in different areas. One of my friends (who I must say, I have never met) sent me a link to this great site when I was complaining about how hard it was to write a book.  Here is the part I liked best:

  1. Thou shalt think like a professional, starting now.
  2. Thou shalt begin and keep going till you’re through.
  3. Thou shalt take your efforts and desires seriously.
  4. Thou shalt call it work.
  5. Thou shalt write for yourself, not the market.
  6. Thou shalt not wait for visits from the muse.
  7. Thou shalt not ask whether you are good enough.
  8. Thou shalt not intimidate yourself by comparing your writing with a published and polished work.
  9. Thou shalt not worry whether your idea is new enough.
  10. Thou shalt not talk your idea away.
  11. Thou shalt not self-censor at all during the first draft.
  12. Thou shalt not risk writer’s paralysis by looking for the precise word or being afraid of sounding dumb.
  13. Thou shalt not believe that if writing is hard, you must be no good.
  14. Thou shalt not set yourself up for failure with impossible goals.
  15. Thou shalt not believe in writer’s block.
I must say I am thoroughly motivated now. If only they had one of these for self confidence. 

No comments:

Post a Comment