Confidence. Something that is essential to one's success, I believe. Something that I'm lacking. My goal for this year is to gain confidence, not in a smug "I'm so great" kind of way, but the "I know I can do this" way. I'm sure it would creep out to all corners of my life and help in different areas. One of my friends (who I must say, I have never met) sent me a link to this great site when I was complaining about how hard it was to write a book. Here is the part I liked best:
- Thou shalt think like a professional, starting now.
- Thou shalt begin and keep going till you’re through.
- Thou shalt take your efforts and desires seriously.
- Thou shalt call it work.
- Thou shalt write for yourself, not the market.
- Thou shalt not wait for visits from the muse.
- Thou shalt not ask whether you are good enough.
- Thou shalt not intimidate yourself by comparing your writing with a published and polished work.
- Thou shalt not worry whether your idea is new enough.
- Thou shalt not talk your idea away.
- Thou shalt not self-censor at all during the first draft.
- Thou shalt not risk writer’s paralysis by looking for the precise word or being afraid of sounding dumb.
- Thou shalt not believe that if writing is hard, you must be no good.
- Thou shalt not set yourself up for failure with impossible goals.
- Thou shalt not believe in writer’s block.
I must say I am thoroughly motivated now. If only they had one of these for self confidence.